The strengths are listed below:
- The PPCIC is presented as the first Postgraduate Program stricto sensu of Brazil with the focus on data science. This opens a prominent space of CEFET/RJ in the Brazilian scenario in this domain and, at the same time, brings opportunities to establish several partnerships that potentialize the research and increase the social insertion of Program.
- The program received a good evaluation in the last quadrennium (2013-2016), as can be seen in the evaluation form: “The program starts its activities with a good intellectual production and a uniform distribution of the production. The intellectual production is of good quality and is leveled with programs of grade 4. “
- Partnerships with researchers from other well-recognized national and international institutions increase synergy and enable more robust and promising research.
- Verticalization of teaching: Technical High-school, undergraduate and master courses, is a point to be highlighted, since it awakens the interest in the research activities of the program by students of other levels who, when entering the PPCIC, have already had the opportunity to engage with Studies and projects related to the two research lines.
- The institutional policy of support both administrative and financial contribution to research and postgraduate activities. One example was the implementation of the rules of accreditation and teacher accompaniment-approved by the Research and Postgraduate Council (COPEP) and approved by the Research and Extension Teaching Council (CEPE)-for all graduate programs of Institution. This support has been fundamental and has been reflected in the improvement of the intellectual production of the program. Another example is the anual financial contribution of approximately 2 million to the development of research activities
- Program accreditation rules sound and adherent to the needs of the area of computer science.
- Transparency of the program. Minutes, proofs and the operation of the program are available on the program’s website.
- The program starts with good intellectual production and distribution of production.
- Significant strengthening of fundraising in funding agencies such as CNPq (Universal, PQ Scholarships) and FAPERJ (the Support for emerging Programs, APQ-1, APQ-4, and others).
- Coordination of the course has a faculty evaluation committee that has periodic meetings to accompany the indicators and ensure the implementation of the actions of the plan of goals and improvements.
Points to improve
The points to be improved are listed below:
- Although the program presents several publications in the upper strata, efforts are being made to increase, more and more, the quantitative publications in vehicles considered to be better qualified by the area and increase the H factor of the program professors.
- The PPCIC has 25% of the professors with a PQ scholarship. However, it is intended to expand this percentage further.
- As this is a recent programme, despite the many initiatives previously described, it is understood that it would be important to expand further the actions that increase the visibility of the program, so that PPCIC can be better known and recognized by society and the community in the area of computer science. Actions such as becoming the headquarters of Poscomp and organization of national and international events have been held.
- Despite several projects with resources from funding agencies, the PPCIC considers it important to increase the number of resources coming from funding agencies, especially considering that there are bureaucratic difficulties for acquiring material and services, as well as establishing partnerships involving the transfer of resources. CEFET/RJ does not have a support foundation so that it becomes dependent on the purchasing processes carried out through law 8,666 (bidding law). Therefore, there is no satisfactory autonomy, speed and flexibility to enable the acquisition of material and the hiring of services. The lack of foundation of support also does not allow to be paid registrations in events that do not have SICAF (in this case virtually all international events) and other services such as payment of publication fee in international journals, acquisition of a license to use software that does not have representation in Brazil, etc. Also, the time spent on processing a purchase order, opening the bidding process and conducting the trading session until the effective delivery of the material/service. The lack of support foundation still hinders partnerships involving the transfer of resources with public companies or private sector, since any transfer of this nature is done through the Treasury account losing control over the management of them. It is, however, an institutional problem and national regulation so that the program has no way of interfering with this situation. The strategy to try to minimize the problem is the submission of research projects to funding agencies that pass the resources directly to the researcher who becomes more autonomous about their management. In this sense, there is a movement on the part of the professors of the PPCIC to submit projects and participate in notices of funding agencies such as CNPQ and FAPERJ.
It is worth a comment of the current economic situation, which signals a scarcity of resources from federal and state sources of funding. In this context, the program needs to increase the effort to try to raise the level of production without the same resources, mainly financial, from previous years.